Sciatica has many different causes, different symptom patterns and different methods of treatment. Sciatica is generally caused by the compression of lumbar nerves or by compression of the sciatic nerve itself. Your Chiropractor will do a full screening to find the route cause of your symptoms and can then recommend the best form of treatment.
There are different causes for sciatica, these can include;
- Lumbar disc herniation – sciatic type pain can be caused by a bulging spinal disc pressing on one of the sciatic nerve roots.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis – spinal stenosis is where the vertebral canal (the tube which your spinal cord runs through) begins to narrow through degenerative changes in the bony structure of the spine. This narrowing places pressure on the sciatic nerve roots, thus causing the symptoms of sciatica.
- Piriformis syndrome – in 15% of the population the sciatic nerve runs through, or under the piriformis muscle. This means that when that muscle shortens or spasms due to trauma, overuse or poor posture, it can irritate, compress or strangle the nerve, thus causing sciatic pain.
- Pregnancy – sciatica can also occur during pregnancy as a result of the weight of the fetus pressing on the sciatic nerve while sitting down or during leg spasms. These symptoms can cause a numbing of the legs causing trips and falls.
- Leg pain
- Referred pain
- Shooting pain
- Burning pain
- Pins and needles
- Muscle spasm
- Leg numbness
- Pain with movement
- Buttock pain
The type of treatment suitable for sciatica primarily depends on the cause of the condition. Every day people visit Chiropractors with sciatica and evidence shows that Chiropractic is effective at treating the condition in many different cases.
Chiropractic care can include;
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Specific exercises and stretches
- Posture and lifestyle advice
If you’re unsure whether Chiropractic treatment is the right option for you, then please come in for a free 20 minute consultation where we can discuss the reason for your visit, do a quick spine check and explain how we may be able to help. To book this free consultation please contact the clinic on 01243 913923.
Look forward to seeing you soon!
- The Chichester Chiropractic Health Centre
Local Chiropractors serving Chichester, Bosham, Fishbourne, Drayton, Goodwood, Hayling Island, Portsmouth, Selsey, Bognor Regis, Rustington, East Preston, Ferring, Worthing, Littlehampton and Arundel areas.